In pursuit of its mission, the Ontario Police Department sets continuing goals, which include a commitment to:
- Provide the public with reasonable and efficient access to public services.
- Be responsive to calls and identified needs for police services within the City of Ontario 24 hours a day.
- Allocate personnel to obtain maximum utilization of its human resources to meet identified needs.
- Provide staff services for the traditional line functions of the police.
- Maintain a proactive approach toward crime and disorder.
- Maintain flexibility in its strategies toward crime and disorder so that the changing needs of the community may be met.
- Identify criminal activity and act to resolve it.
- Maintain activities to facilitate the safe, orderly flow of people and vehicles within the community.
- Maintain positive interaction with the public and a high degree of visibility within the community.
- Educate the public to the community's role and responsibility in the prevention, detection, and resolution of crime and disorder.
- Promote public confidence in the law enforcement function.
- Conduct an on-going evaluation of its functions and activities to ensure that community needs are being met.
- Utilize effective police-community partnerships to resolve problems collaboratively.
- Develop and maintain ethical and professional standards of conduct and operation.