Road Closures and Traffic Pattern Changes for
Independence Day Celebration
In an effort to promote the safety of those attending the Independence Day Celebration at the Ontario Schools Campus, Ontario Police will be making some changes to the traffic flow including closing some roadways. Each year our local festivities have grown tremendously thanks to the hard working committee members. This year, we expect the largest crowd ever at this event. As a result, we urge those planning to attend to arrive early and plan your parking lot choices by using the “Exit Plan” we have provided on this site. We learn each year how we can improve our guests’ efforts of leaving the area, and are confident that we have an excellent plan in place. This will help people leave the area efficiently and safely. Some of the changes for during and after the fireworks are as follows:
· Shelby-Ontario Rd (the road the schools are on): We will be closing Shelby-Ontario Rd., from Milligan Rd., (north) to Park Ave West (south) at approximately 9:30 PM to all traffic. At that time, you may enter Marshall Park from Rock Rd or Milligan Rd and find any remaining parking.
· Upon completion of the fireworks, a pedestrian crosswalk, crossing Shelby-Ontario Rd., will be created between the elementary school and the park entrance. All pedestrians crossing Shelby-Ontario Rd. are encouraged to use this area, which will be blocked off from all vehicle traffic so everyone may cross safely.
· Park Ave West, will be closed from Shelby-Ontario Rd (west) to Rock Rd (east). In the past, vehicles that traveled this section of road are often stuck in traffic for an extended period of time, due to other traffic leaving the Celebration area. Vehicles exiting the lower Marshall Park area at Rock Rd must turn east onto Park Ave West or continue south on Rock Rd.
· All vehicles parking in the south school lots will be required to exit the area south toward Park Ave West. If you wish to go east, simply continue south to Millsboro Rd (since Park Ave will be closed to eastbound traffic).
· All vehicles parking in the north school lots and the upper Marshall Park area will be required to exit north toward W 4th St., where you can turn east, west or go straight to the north.
· We also recommend that you avoid traveling north on SR 314 from Park Ave West as you will be re-entering the celebration traffic once you reach Shelby-Ontario Rd and will find an unnecessary delay.
Also please be aware that there will be a 5K run/walk utilizing Shelby-Ontario Rd, Milligan Rd, Rock Rd and Marshall Park. This run will begin at 8:30AM on Saturday. Some roads will be closed; others will be controlled access by officers. Please drive slowly, use caution and watch for participants. For those arriving into the park area for the baseball activities, you must arrive prior to 8:15AM or wait until the runners have cleared the park entrance at which time you will be directed to the ball fields.
Lastly, the parade will begin at 4:15PM. The parade will utilize Milligan Rd, Shelby-Ontario Rd., and Marshall Park. Both Milligan Rd and Shelby-Ontario Rd. will be closed during this time.
We hope you enjoy the festivities and please be safe and have a great Independence Day.